Man it seriously brings a smile to my face when you girls nominate me for this award. This is I believe my 6th nomination so far..and why not keep them coming:) I was nominated by the lovely Kim from My life According to Pinterest.Today I am also linking up for Thursday! So here is how this goes….
and going like crazy. I did say that I would load a review of the January 2013
Birchbox. If you are not aware of what Birchbox is, basically it is a monthly beauty
box subscription for $10/per month. This $10 gets you normally 5 sample size products.
The brands normally are ones that I have never heard of, but occasionally they
send a brand such as the Balm. I am overall happy with Birchbox, but I will admit
some months are better than others. The range of products that you will receive
depend upon you answers to the survey you take when apply to Birchbox. I will
mention that there is a waiting list for Birchbox, it took me a month to
actually be up for a box. This is because this company is growing like crazy
and very popular, as I am sure you can tell…I mean most beauty bloggers get
this box. So if you are one that is on the fence about this, I suggest you go
ahead and take a leap of faith. In terms of how it works, each month your bank
account will be debited $10 and they will ship fairly quickly. I honestly love
my pink box of goodies, they always have the neatest stuff to try. If you are interested in a product, you can find the product in the color Red(this is a hyperlink). If you click the product in red it will take you to where you can purchase that product. So tell me
what you think of my review, and if you have any questions please feel free to
Today I am linking up for Sunday Social. If you are interested in reading a little bit of my blog history.. keep reading! I hope you guys enjoy and make sure you check back tomorrow to see what I was up to this weekend! Feel free comment below and let me know what you thought about my post!
1. What is the name of your blog? How long have you been blogging?
The name of my blog is Southern Beauty Guide. I must say that coming up with the name was harder than anything. I tried one after another and finally just put 3 words together. Southern, because I live in the South and have deep rooted Southern heritage. I do consider myself as a Southern belle by definition. I am a sassy, southern, conservative, sweet tea loving kind of girl. Beauty, because I intended to give advice, reviews, tutorials, etc. Guide…well that kind of is self explanatory. I have been blogging for almost a year! I am so excited that my one year is coming up:)
2. Why do you blog?
I have always loved everything dealing with beauty. For years I have done hair, makeup and events on the side. I have always been asked millions of questions such as :what is your favorite beauty products, how to achieve a smoky eye, what’s a dupe for… and just about anything else you can think of.
I honestly felt my personal Facebook page was not the best place to host q & a type of things. I thought maybe a blog would better suited to answer those types of questions. Using I blog I felt it would be easier for me to post specific topics and would make it easier for someone to find an answer to their question. Now that I have moved onto another stage of blogging, I would also like to lend advice to others. I seriously walked into this not expecting this to be as time consuming, complex, nor as rewarding.
3. What is the first blog you ever followed?
This is quite easy to answer, the first blog I followed was The Small Things Blog. Kate is a beauty guru that truly inspired me. If you are not aware of who she is then…you must check her out!
4. What is your favorite post you wrote in 2012?
This has got to be the hardest question today, because 2012 was quite the blur. I would say if I had to pick it would be…. my Charleston girl perfume post. It was my first giveaway and was the first time a company had contacted me to review their product. It was so exciting, because showed the validity of my blog and me as the writer.
5. What are your blogging goals for 2013?
To be more consistent in blogging, meet more people, host more giveaways, grow my blog.
6. Top 3 favorite blogs to follow.
-The Small Things Blog
-Bourbon and Glitter
* These are not my only favorites! I have many more…I spend my morning going through my favorites, reading every word of their post. I may spend lots of time blogging… but I spend even more time reading everyone else’s posts.
Hey Lovelies! I have yet again been nominated for the Liebster Award, I think this is my 5th…but I am not sure! This so exciting! I think it is wonderful, that so many of you enjoy my blog and feel that I am worthy of this award!
This award is given to new or up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers…the award is then passed along to other bloggers in the same category to help spread the word and support one another.
1. Each blogger should post 11 random facts about themselves.
2. Answer the questions the tagger has set for you, then create 11 new questions for the bloggers you pass the award to.
3. Choose 11 new bloggers (with less than 200 followers) to pass the award to and link them in your post.
4. Go back to their page and tell them about the award.
5. No tag backs.
11 Random Facts about myself:
1. I am obsessed with beauty products.
2. After I post something here on my blog, I often wonder if you as a reader will be able to understand what I am blabbing on about.
3. I do hair and makeup for weddings even though I do not have a degree in that area.
4. I am slightly OCD
5. I am a perfectionist when it comes to hair and makeup
6. I am single
7. I have a background in Domestic Violence Law
8. I am a sorority alumae
9. I am an avid reader
10. I love ANIMALS!
Lauren at Letters & Lipstick‘s Questions
1. What is your favorite movie you’ve watched recently? Magic Mike
2. Favorite style of shoe?flats
3. When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? a Lawyer
4. If you could have dinner with any person, dead or alive, who would it be? My deceased grandmother
5. Who is your favorite band/singer? Carrie Underwood
6. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live? The Mediterranean Islands
7. What superpower do you wish you had? Well if super powers included vampire ones, I would say living forever and staying young in looks.
8. Who is your favorite Avenger or Disney Princess? (or both) Aurora
9. What is your dream vacation? Going to Fiji
10. What food could you eat every day and not get tired of it? Mexican
11. What is your favorite makeup product and brand? Urban Decay
Questions for those I tag:
1. What is your favorite thing to blog about?
2. What was your favorite thing you got for Christmas?
3. If you had to choose one blog friend to be on a deserted island with who would you choose?
4. What is your greatest love in life?
5. What tv show is your guilty pleasure?
6. If you could switch places with any fellow blogger, who would you switch with and why?
7. Are you a morning person or night owl?
8. Are you from a big family?
9. What brands are you obsessed with?
10. Do you speed up or slow down when you see a yellow light?
11. What is your favorite movie?
1. Do you plan to change any of your eating habits in the new year? Yes! I need to eat healthier foods and stop eating out so much.
2. Any workout tips to get us back in shape after the Holidays? Don’t procrastinate and do something fun like zumba! I love using my wii to do zumba!
3. Favorite thing you did over the holidays? That would have to be out family vacation in the mountains! It was an amazing trip, it was very relaxing and well worth it!
4. What is something you hope that you accomplish in 2013 that you did not in 2012? Study more of the lsat….because I need to take it soon!
5. Name 3 things happening this year you are excited about and why. First of all, I am excited to grow this blog. I am actively trying to come up with new ideas and interesting ways to keep my reader interested in my blog. Secondly, I started a small business back in the fall and this year should be really busy. We have an established client basis and hopefully more will become clients! Finally, even though I am not a licenced makeup artist, I have been doing makeup for wedding and events for a long time. I have a few seminars in the works to give local beauty advice. I am constantly asked questions like what products to use, how to bring life back to damaged hair, etc. So I am excited to have a forum to answer questions that people are asking.
That’s all…I hope you enjoyed this Sunday Social!
Well I have to say blogging was a lot more complex that I had originally thought. I started this blog almost a year ago and really had no idea what I was doing..and I partly still don’t quite get it all, but I am trying. I think I did successfully provide a variety of interesting posts. They ranged from drink recipes to makeup looks. I sincerely hope that my readers enjoyed all of my nonsense rambling and quick tips on what to do and what not to do.
I was not impressed by someone of my posts, but all I can do I attempt to put forth better quality posts. I honestly believe that a blog is basically a window into seeimg who someone truly is, and well looking back I can tell my blog was a direct reflection. I am/was a hot mess, but you know who is in between starting a small business, working another job for around 38 hrs a week, studying for the lsat, being a political campaign manager, and editing books every now and then gor a friend I was quite busy. Yes, it is true I worked multiple political campaigns at one time. I love being busy, but I think I was perhaps stretched a little thin. Regadless, I have to say I enjoyed starting this little blog.
I am happy that I hosted a giveaway in 2012 and don’t worry girls there is more coming in 2013. I am super excited that I got to know so many of you! Finally, what I would like to see…well I definitely would like to see more linkups, giveaways, see my subscriber number grow, and to find a template that I love 100%. I hope to make this blog the best it can be! I hope you guys stick around and keep reading! I have many resolutions for this year! So tell me what do you guys hope to improve on or change this year?
So today is very exciting I was checking my emails yesterday morning and saw that Sammie had emailed me about guest posting! Well of course I agreed, I mean I love this girl. She is one of my newest blog friends, plus she is so sweet. I am thoroughly enjoying getting to know her, she is simply fabulous and a “tell it how it is sassy southern girl!” I hope you guys stop by her blog and check it out, I know I enjoy reading her posts daily!
Mix your oils. I use a mix of Castor, Sunflower Seed and Tea Tree Oils. It took me a few tries to get the right balance of oils. I mix mine every Sunday night and keep it in a little Tupperware container by my bathroom sink. (Make sure you wash your container at least once a week)
Turn the hot water on. It needs to be super hot. Place a washcloth in the hot water.
With your fingers, scoop some of the oil up and place start massaging into the skin on your face and neck.
Once you have covered your face in the oil, take the washcloth and ring out the excess water. It should basically be damp and hot.
Place it over your face. I usually leave it on my face until the cloth gets cold.
Repeat this process again.
Rinse the cloth out and start wiping your face with the cloth to remove the oil.
If you have particularly dry skin, take a dab (I usually just dip my finger tips in the bottle) of sunflower oil and rub into your skin like you would a moisturizer.
I didn’t experiment much with my oils once I found ones that worked for me. My personal combination (for the week) is:
2 tbsp Castor Oil (this can be found pretty much anywhere)
4 tbsp Sunflower Seed Oil (Usually found at Whole Foods or a health food place)
4 drops Tea Tree Oil (Whole Foods, or Amazon)
Tea Tree Oil acts as an astringent so use it very sparingly as it can be drying to your skin
Castor oil is much thicker and has really strong cleaning properties, it can be harsh on your skin so don’t think you need to use too much
On the left is a picture of Kelly Gaskins, designer. The following is a quote from Charleston Girl designer Kelly Gaskins on the inspiration for the fragrance:
“Charleston Girl eau de parfum is a sultry, enticing fragrance that opens with a burst of sparkling-fruity top-notes, weaves a delicate and sensuous floral middle and finishes with a soft, amber and sandalwood dry-down. While including ingredients native to Charleston, this luminous fragrance captures the spirit of a true southern belle. The simple and elegant bottle design is inspired by the graceful and natural beauty that distinguishes Charleston Girls. Adorning the neck of the bottle is a stylish red bow that serves as a subtle and sexy accessory. Charleston Girl, written in beautiful cursive on the bottle adds a touch of sophistication and charm. “
I personally believe that they hit the snail on the head with this perfume, it is well rounded enough to where everyone can enjoy! I hope you enjoyed this review. This is my honest opinion I am not being paid by this company, nor am I affiliated with this company. I was sent this product for review. I suggest that if you are looking for the perfect holiday gift that you visit: http://www.charlestongirlperfume.com/ to purchase yours today!
Well that is all guys, if you have any questions please let me know! I hope you enjoyed this review. Make sure you enter my giveaway to win a sample it ends tomorrow!
excited when I saw the possibilities of what I could receive this month. I have included a few pictures of what I received. I will also do a review below the pictures, so keep scrolling down!